Monday, May 16, 2011

Summer in the City - Bucket List

Now that the weather is warming up, it has gotten me thinking about my summer to-do's. There's a lot that I want to accomplish and see, so what better way than to share them with all of you! That way, you'll all have something to look forward to and can offer suggestions along the way!

Tour Breweries: Chicago has a lot of breweries. And I want to try them all. Here are a few on my list -
Festivals! Apparently there is a festival every weekend somewhere around the city. I'm sure new ones will crop up along the way, but one that I'm sure I'm going to is Taste of Chicago.  It's a week-long event with all sorts of food vendors and entertainment. I cannot wait for this!

Lollapalooza - Courtney and I just bought our tickets and we are so excited for this big live music event! Sadly, it will also probably be our last hurrah together since she is moving back to teach at Lawrence High. It's a three-day music event with a lot of cool bands. This will be my first one and I am so pumped!

Farmer's Markets - It's May, so farmer's markets are beginning to open up around the city. I have this vision of waking up on Saturday mornings, picking up fresh, local produce at a farmer's market, and then going home and making a feast. I doubt that happens every weekend, but I'll be satisfied if it just happens a few times. Look at how many farmer's markets there are around this city! Click here for the list.

Visits from friends - This will be, of course, the highlight of my summer :) I've already had a fair number of visits from family and friends, but there are several more trips planned for the coming months. Some friends are even coming up this weekend! Hopefully my next post will showcase some of the fun, touristy stuff that we end up doing. We are going to a drinking play called "Bye Bye Liver" so I'm sure I'll have that and plenty more to talk about in my next post!

Keep your fingers crossed the weather stays consistently warm in the next few weeks! I'm ready for summer!! Have a great week everyone!

H&W

3 comments:

  1. Taste of Chicago - Not great, but at least try it one time. It's EXTREMELY crowded and HOT (temperature wise). The first year I moved here someone was shot. Check out the Wolff's Flea Market in the All-State arena parking lot, on Sundays 6am-3pm, $2 to get in. Also try Piece Brewery & Pizzeria, 1927 W. North Ave. It gets pretty busy, so get there early! If you haven't gone on an architectural boat tour of the city I highly recommend it. I've lived here for 4 years now, and I've learned so much about the city, that I didn't know, by going on the boat tour. I've been on several different ones, but my favorite was the Seadog. They take you on a speedboat ride out on the lake before the tour on the river, so go on a warm day. You're right, there are tons of festivals and admission, for the most part, is either free or pretty cheap. There is ALWAYS something to do on the weekends during the Summer. Try shopping on Belmont, also. There are some super cool off-beat shops that you wouldn't find on the overpriced Mag Mile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, the boat ride is off of Navy Pier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! Thanks for the info! And, of course, you are invited to join me on any of these excursions! :)

    ReplyDelete