Wednesday, May 25, 2011

KC Girls Invade Chicago for a Shenanigan-Filled Weekend

It truly was a "shenanigan-filled weekend," one that I need at least a week to recuperate from! But I will say that it was 100% worth it!

Thanks to Hannah, Ali, Melanie, Christen, Kyla and Katie, I got a couple of items checked off of my summer bucket list!

As I mentioned before, I love when people come to visit because it gives me an excuse to explore the city like a tourist. At any other time, I like to pretend I know what I'm doing or where I'm going (like a true Chicagoan, of course), but when friends come, it's time for me to act like a tourist and get to know the city!

Lots of people have suggested to me that I should check out an architectural tour of the city. My friend Lindsay even suggested on my last blog post to do the Seadog tour. I took no time in suggesting that to the visiting KC girls and that's exactly what we did!
Our Seadog Adventure!

Oddly enough, Chicago had some crazy fog roll in late last week (I can only assume it was due to the impending rapture). Out on Navy Pier, we couldn't even SEE the skyscrapers of the city. It was such a crazy feeling knowing that they were so close, and yet to not be able to see them... We all thought that our tour was going to be a total bust because how can we possibly enjoy the tour when we can't even see the buildings? However, once we were off the lake and on the river, it cleared right up! Our Chris Rock lookalike tour guide was pretty entertaining and imparted some great information on the history of the city. My only complaint was that he was a bit hard to hear and it didn't help that half of our tour was a group of 2nd graders on a field trip.

Friday just happened to be Hannah's birthday, so we celebrated with some pizza and wine at Frasca Pizzeria in Lakeview. Up next was a "Chicago Drinking Play" called Bye Bye Liver. Yes, you read right, a drinking play. It was exactly as you would imagine it - a combination of crude comedy and buckets of beer. So naturally, a pretty fun time. From there, we spent the rest of the night in Wicker Park at the Wicker Park Tavern. With Judgment Day almost upon us, we felt it our duty to party like it was our last night on earth... and that we did.
Interaction with the crowd at Bye Bye Liver.

Mel, Ali and me at Frasca Pizzeria

If you look closely, you can see birthday candles on Hannah's cheese and fruit platter. Happy Birthday Hannah!

The girls did some shopping and exploration during the day on Saturday. After a lot of back and forth trying to decide where to go out to eat, we finally decided to go to Grand Lux Cafe on Michigan. It was a happenin' place - so happenin' that we waited over an hour to get a table and sat down just after 10 p.m. We felt quite European with our VERY late dinner. The girls had their heart set on checking out the craziness that is The Hangge Uppe, but when we got there, the line was outrageous! I found this quote on the Chicago Bar Project website that explains this bar perfectly. It's a classy place and is almost always a clear sign of an entertaining evening :)

"On any given night you can go to the Hangge Uppe, meet a girl, fall in love, realize you're both soul mates, go to the bathroom, and come out to find her making out with another guy." – J.S.

The group at Grand Lux
With the line a bit too long for our liking, we walked down the street and had a couple of drinks at The Cedar Hotel. I had been to this bar a couple of weeks before for a happy hour and impressed even myself with my growing knowledge of the city! Slowly but surely, I'm learning my way around! We met some Brits and checked out another club down the street later and at that point, I was exhausted and my feet were in pain, so half of the party called it a night.

The girls headed home the next day and I spent the day lounging and watching Ally McBeal (you might say I'm a little obsessed with this show...). I was content to sit around and relax after that whirlwind of a weekend. I think the girls had fun and were already discussing what they want to do the next time they come to town - which I was very excited to hear!

I hope this post peaks the interest of some of my other friends who might be thinking of coming to Chicago for a little vacay... :)

Until next time!

H&W

No comments:

Post a Comment